PDA

View Full Version : HL S13 - Roster lock and playoff information

snowblindfrog
July 1st, 2014, 02:41 PM
http://www.ugcleague.com/files/images/tf2/UGC_news_UPDATES.png

Roster lock for Season 13 is fast upon us. Rosters will lock on Tuesday July 8th @ 11:59pm (EST aka GMT - 4:00).

Playoff structure for Season 13

NA Plat, EU Plat & AUS/NZ Plat - Top 8 double elim
NA Gold & EU Gold - Top 8 double elim
NA Silver, NA Steel, & NA Iron - Top 16 in title bracket and next 16 in consolation bracket
EU Silver, EU Steel, EU Iron, Asia, South America and AUS/NZ - Top 16 single elim

IssGonRain
July 1st, 2014, 03:54 PM
Probably won't even be 16 teams by the end of the gold (NA) season at the rate things are going. Not sure what reasoning single elim is chosen for... (explanation as to why you're going against what the majority wants would be cool.)

Also how will EU gold single elimination work ?

Brandyyyn
July 1st, 2014, 04:26 PM
Probably won't even be 16 teams by the end of the gold ( NA) season at the rate things are going. Not sure what reasoning single elim is chosen for...

Yeah, with how anorexic gold is, I'd have to agree with this. It's not that I won't enjoy an extra match, but I certainly don't feel like my team's play this season has earned us a playoff spot. Top 8 double elimination just makes so much more sense.

finna
July 1st, 2014, 06:19 PM
Yea, can we please do double elimination? I know upsets are cool and all but it would feel pretty lame to lose once on steel and your season is over.

Penguin
July 1st, 2014, 06:25 PM
Congrats, everybody in gold! You made playoffs! Good work on not having your team die during the season!

Koga
July 1st, 2014, 06:38 PM
NA Gold - Top 16 single elim

I cried :'(

Arzt. Hispanian
July 1st, 2014, 07:18 PM
so i could be 1-7 in gold and make playoffs pretty cool

MelonLord
July 1st, 2014, 07:36 PM
Yea, can we please do double elimination? I know upsets are cool and all but it would feel pretty lame to lose once on steel and your season is over.

RIP S12 Cuties

The throws were real

SteveC
July 1st, 2014, 08:06 PM
Darn. I wanted TG to lose steel again and have to play ESPORTS more than 2 times a week to win gold. Guess we aren't going plat next season.

spange
July 1st, 2014, 11:21 PM
Ugc propaganda deleting my comments

beanie
July 2nd, 2014, 11:08 AM
There is literally 16 readied up teams in Gold right now, that means everyone in gold can make playoffs.

Nope nope nope, should be at least like the top 8 or 6 teams.

Royce
July 2nd, 2014, 11:33 AM
suck it gold

g..
July 2nd, 2014, 03:32 PM
You're all winners!

Die-No
July 2nd, 2014, 05:21 PM
Mid gold's been really close this season, with nearly every team having a 3-3 record or greater (barring 2). I'd hate to see competition this close not go to playoffs personally, and I always loved how inclusive UGC was with playoffs. I know I'm biased, but I am excited to see how gold turns up.

Koga
July 2nd, 2014, 08:39 PM
NA Gold - Top 8 double elim

I cried, but this time it was tears of joy :')

lelouch24
July 2nd, 2014, 08:41 PM
Are y'all gonna to adopt a playoff schedule similar to the one me/Karl proposed?
http://i.imgur.com/4BH2ssc.jpg

Pros:
- The matches that would normally be on thursday would be on sunday
- A team can't lose on the same map twice (apart from best of 3s)

Cons:
- A team would have to win three best-of-3s to get first place from the loser's bracket
- Since Viaduct is the 3rd map (the only one repeated in the lower bracket), a team could potentially play up to 29 rounds on viaduct.
- On two occasions, team's won't know who they're facing on monday until after Sunday, so your match could be against a team you scrimmed

Penguin
July 2nd, 2014, 09:18 PM
- Since Viaduct is the 3rd map (the only one repeated in the lower bracket), a team could potentially play up to 29 rounds on viaduct.

I see no issues with this.

Jacksterbaiter
July 2nd, 2014, 10:20 PM
8 Teams? 8?
Yes, if it were 16, all teams would make it into the playoffs. I can understand that. But cutting half the teams from a possible upset heavy 1st playoff week? That might be pushing it. I can see a 12 team double elim being better due to the fact that any team who cant make that, won't. Being from one of the low gold teams, I think we could make top twelve, but top 8 is nearly impossible. Don't shaft all the low gold teams cause so many decided to break up. If it really has to be, make it 12, give teams a chance for steel upsets.

finna
July 2nd, 2014, 10:25 PM
This doesn't make sense, low gold teams aren't being shafted because other teams died. Low gold teams are being shafted because they didn't play well enough in the regular season. If that means my own team doesn't make playoffs I would be ok with it.

Also, why are upsets inherently good? for teams to upset and then lose immediately in the next map because a team better than them won? Single elimination with steel on the map list was just dumb but I'm glad it was changed.

brick
July 2nd, 2014, 11:14 PM
This doesn't make sense, low gold teams aren't being shafted because other teams died. Low gold teams are being shafted because they didn't play well enough in the regular season. If that means my own team doesn't make playoffs I would be ok with it.

If I ever disliked you, I now automatically like you.

Etney
July 3rd, 2014, 02:01 PM
8 Teams? 8?
Yes, if it were 16, all teams would make it into the playoffs. I can understand that. But cutting half the teams from a possible upset heavy 1st playoff week? That might be pushing it. I can see a 12 team double elim being better due to the fact that any team who cant make that, won't. Being from one of the low gold teams, I think we could make top twelve, but top 8 is nearly impossible. Don't shaft all the low gold teams cause so many decided to break up. If it really has to be, make it 12, give teams a chance for steel upsets.

If your strat is to hope for pulling an upset on a map a better team might be sloppy at, you don't deserve to be in the playoffs anyways. At a lower seed you're going to get knocked out anyways, since you'd be going against the number 1 or 2 team. 8 makes sense, it means people have to actually try and not be terrible to make it into the post-season.

TMP
July 3rd, 2014, 02:30 PM
8 Teams? 8?

How on earth does one do a 12 team Double Elimination tournament in the timeframe that we have with the way people's schedules are? How does one do a 12 team double elimination anyways and make it fair? Top 4 teams get a bye into the 2nd upper bracket round or something?

Jacksterbaiter
July 3rd, 2014, 10:38 PM
Top 4 teams get a bye into the 2nd upper bracket round or something?

That's what I was thinking. They get rewarded for being a top seed, the lower teams have to fight for the spots.

finna
July 3rd, 2014, 11:05 PM
That's what I was thinking. They get rewarded for being a top seed, the lower teams have to fight for the spots.

I don't understand this logic at all. Lower teams already had to fight for spots. Hell we are still fighting for spots. That's what the regular season is for. Not a freebie through the hardest map in the game.

HKC_Gavin
July 3rd, 2014, 11:21 PM
I don't understand this logic at all. Lower teams already had to fight for spots. Hell we are still fighting for spots. That's what the regular season is for. Not a freebie through the hardest map in the game.

In UGC history, has the 16th seed ever beaten the 1st? I doubt it.

Also every team fights for spots, some just fight a bit better that's all.

lelouch24
July 4th, 2014, 01:29 AM
I think by "fight for spots", he meant that they have to win a match to make it to round 2, while the top 4 teams get a bye

Slegna
July 4th, 2014, 02:07 AM
In UGC history, has the 16th seed ever beaten the 1st? I doubt it.

Also every team fights for spots, some just fight a bit better that's all.

I want to say that it happened last season in the Iron or Steel consolation bracket.

Yeah, I'm not helping, I'm gonna go back to my work stuff now.

Koobadoobs
July 4th, 2014, 05:19 PM
The lower teams had their chance. If you couldn't make top 8, you probably aren't placing, unless you were playing the mTs game of tryharding only in playoffs, which is lame anyway. Let's face it: all that matters is who ends up in the top 3. The rest is just the fortunate/unfortunate results of scheduling difficulty, and no one ever remembers who came in what place after 3rd anyway. How confident are we that the top 3 teams will take the top 3 spots in a single elim, 16 team bracket starting on steel? Eh, pretty confident? Somewhat? Well, how confident are we with an 8 team bracket (reducing the number of "bad" teams that could upset) with double elim (accounting for the high chance of a steel upset)?

I'd say the best way to ensure getting the most accurate top 3 is 8 team double elim. That is, as long as steel is round one. Personally I love steel but having it first week and not even giving teams a different map for losers bracket first round is a bit unsettling. A top team could easily fall to two lower ones. All it takes is the first upset to put you on tilt, and then pressure's on for the rest of playoffs to be perfect even if you can pull it together on steel in loser's bracket.

But what do I know. I'm in silver.

ilikeTF2andpie
July 4th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Top 8 Gold? YES! Finally it wont be boring.

Wonko The Sane
July 10th, 2014, 06:38 PM
3 players in silver and 1 in gold were added to rosters after the "lock". Were they on the roster but not confirmed or something? Not a big deal, just pissed because another plat joined silver.... after the lock.