Thread: How to fix packet loss ?

Default How to fix packet loss ?

Im been dealing with this issue like 1 month after i got this internet provider all the seasons that i play are with the issue

screenshots: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1398850456

and another screenshot: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1398850700

even with servers really close where i live i got the issue some days it works normally and another days is like the screenshots lossing packets i even change my modem and is the same but like 2 days is normal and after 2 days are lossing packets and again i kinda need help about this crap, with good ping is the same the only servers that i can play normally are the crap and discord is the same i can't hear people when i losse a packet and i can't speak either same with internet browser, like my internet dieds like 2 or 4 seconds each time that i losse a packet.

Sorry for the bad grammar my english is kinda crappy my mother language is another

Do you use ethernet or wifi?

I use cable

I complained to my ISP for 2 years and received about 8 weeks of free internet due to constantly complaining and them not being able to figure out how to fix it. At some point it just stopped happening. Mine would be a constant 5-8% and if I didn't restart my modem every 12-24 hours it would spike up to 15-20%. Honestly, all you can do is constantly complain to your ISP, try upgrading your modem, connect your Ethernet directly into the modem rather than a router if you're using a router. You can also try removing all the cords/wires from your modem and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Typically you always just need to wait a minute but I would just unplug everything to it (and I mean every single cord) and go take a shower or eat some food.

I will try it out to see if it works and i use cable into the modem

Quote Originally Posted by brick View Post
    I complained to my ISP for 2 years and received about 8 weeks of free internet due to constantly complaining and them not being able to figure out how to fix it. At some point it just stopped happening. Mine would be a constant 5-8% and if I didn't restart my modem every 12-24 hours it would spike up to 15-20%. Honestly, all you can do is constantly complain to your ISP, try upgrading your modem, connect your Ethernet directly into the modem rather than a router if you're using a router. You can also try removing all the cords/wires from your modem and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Typically you always just need to wait a minute but I would just unplug everything to it (and I mean every single cord) and go take a shower or eat some food.
    This right here is caused by over-subscription of bandwidth in a area. It's also why restarting your modem would decrease the amount of packetloss you had as it would move you to a channel with more available bandwidth. Odds are what fixed your issue was either A. you ISP did some node splits (making a given area sharing bandwidth smaller and creating more nodes) or B. DOCSIS upgrade from 2.0 to 3.0 would also do it real quick. This issue is super common in high population, old neighborhoods, lower income neighborhoods (typical the older one anyway think cheap houses built during the 40s to 70s) and finally extremely rural areas that some how have cable modems and a large ISP that doesn't give a fuck or a small ISP with no real funding.