Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S23 Platinum: W5 Review, W6 Preview

Default S23 Platinum: W5 Review, W6 Preview

Week 5 Review and Week 6 Preview

This was certainly an exciting week we’ve had, even if most of that excitement happened out of game rather than it. Forum drama is more the subject of Nut or Cut, though, so I’ll hold off on that and get through the games.

Week 5 Review

East Jabib vs. Insane Amounts of Money eSports

Logs: http://logs.tf/1854950
    Predicted: 2-1/0 Jabib
    Result: 2-1 Jabib

Jabib vs. Money but it keeps getting faster and faster. A game that should’ve been 2-0 jabib but then should’ve been 2-1 Money but finally ended up 2-1 Jabib. The first half started off to expectations, with Money capping a good-but-not-great 7 minute time with Jabib following with a fairly easy cap of just over 5 minutes. Things started to get weird in the second half, however, as repeated failed B pushes from Jabib led to a frantic A-E cap in 5 minutes. Jabib’s weak B hold (a common theme throughout the match) led to money getting a really strong presence on E, and some poor rotations from the jabib combo led to them losing the 2nd half to a 4 minute cap. The last half is where things get ridiculous, though. Money managed to ABE Jabib in 4 minutes in the second half, and due to 9AM | $punean dropping turkey on B, they repeated their second half performance taking only 2 seconds longer than the round just before it. Jabib, while initially thrown off balance by the surging money, regrouped handily for their last offense. A somewhat overconfident move from money left B without a gun (cas electing to build it in bitch box on E), allowing Jabib to cap A, B, and C in a mere 90 seconds. Despite no ubers coming out from turkeylips over the next minute, Jabib muscled their way through money with superior DM to win the game off the back of a 3:07 ABCE cap, an impressive feat. Really have to give it to the Jabib flank here – they pulled their weight and made up for what was a fairly poor performance by the Jabib combo, if not exile in particular. Most of money’s pushes and successes came off of that, and hats off to them for taking advantage of it. I’ve long said that it only takes one combo wipe on steel defense to lose the round regardless of captures and money did a great job making it come true. All in all, a well-played game by both teams and if they stay this close throughout the season, we’ll all be the better for it.

MVP: mirrorman, HMs: syath, spamfest

Kids Next Door vs. Disappointments per Minute

Logs: http://logs.tf/1854954
    Predicted: 2-0/1 knd
    Result: 2-0 knd

Not a lot to say here; knd systematically dismantled a durr-less DpM here on the back of a ridiculous 59/15 performance by Campy. With durr gone and usual performers Jaaay and Mondragon shut down handily, DpM didn’t really seem to have any ins against a knd that looks to have rebounded from their rather poor performance against the Jooligans from Jabib. Pretty strong performances all around from knd, albeit Campy standing far and away from the rest of his team. On the bright side for DpM, new demoman metawe did a pretty solid job managing a respectable 29/25 with 450 dpm, considering his counterpart was quantum nutting all over his team. SGC The mysterious [DOOR] mommy_I_need_to_poopoo_2014 did an adequate job on sniper after taking over for scizor, even dropping the peepee gun onto RonnieJ and his boys.

MVP: Campy, HMs: mommy_I_need_to_poopoo_2014, split

Dunning-Kruger Effect vs. .5 Plat

Logs: http://logs.tf/1854892, http://logs.tf/1854907
    Predicted: 2-0 dK
    Result: 2-0 dK

dK pulled a 1:33 cap in the second half, going straight to E without even capping A. Need I say more?

MVP: legolas, HMs: mustard, odb

ignorant By Nature vs. Chill Penguins

Logs: http://logs.tf/1854911, http://logs.tf/1854938
    Predicted: 2-0 Bv
    Result: 2-0 Bv

Once again, not much to say. Bv largely dismantled iBN as knd did to dpm; substitute demoman morsca was feeling the chill viBves as Bv proved their dominance on steel yet again. 5 minute and 4 minute caps are the story of this match, as despite iBN demoman lizaR pulling out fairly impressive statlines both halves no one else on his team could compete with him.

MVP: June, HMs: morsca, paals

Second Wind vs. Shooting Blanks! Black

Logs: http://logs.tf/1854927
    Predicted: 2-0/1 2w
    Result: 2-0 2w

My prediction last week was that sb takes a half here off of bowl showing up, and man that mayonnaise is stuck in the back of the fridge. Echoing the past 3 matchups, 2w outplayed sb all around. Every player on 2w went negative with the exception of Pyrrhus and Daffodil, but it was more than enough for a quick victory with 3:42 and 5:30 caps. The asterisk here is, of course, that Daff went 35/12 with 555 dpm, 12 more kills than the highest opponent. Rain had a fairly big game on soldier, top fragging and damaging his team despite offclassing, a spot normally held by bowl, who really didn’t show up this week. Probably just an off night considering it’s steel, but he’s definitely been one of my players to watch so far.

MVP: Daffodil, HMs: Pyrrhus, rain

Week 6 Preview

Ya boi lazy as shit so I’m going to be replacing the full team roster v roster with team specific roster changes since they’re a pain to type out and format 5 times, and unless you’re following every team’s roster makes changes less apparent. Since I generally don’t edit these as we go into the week, most of these changes will have happened last week and I’ll be lagging by a week. Deal with it.

East Jabib vs. Dunning-Kruger Effect

Jabib Roster Changes: N/A
    dK Roster Changes: Karl -> Heavy, Vipa -> Medic, odb -> Soldier

This matchup would’ve been a lot more hyped if it happened earlier in the season, considering there’s a pretty good chance the winner is already known. Jabib may have lost their perfect season last week, but I think it’s difficult to see them losing on product with the dm of syath, mirrorman, exile and spamfest. Don’t sleep on dK, though; with the roster changes last week bringing stability enhanced by the fact that dK is not actually scrimming, we might be getting a preview of playoff form dK early considering this is both teams’ last challenge of a match. I can’t speak much to vipa’s prowess on medic, but I trust him enough as a player to be a solid, if not incredible healer that won’t objectively throw as much as drunk Karl. Karl’s experience should also be a stabilizing force in the combo and product is a great map for odb to flex on. The thought of dK being a more coordinated team is a scary one, but unfortunately for them I think jabib’s a few weeks ahead of them on that regard. Watch for any of the 4 pick classes to go nuclear in this match.

Prediction: 4-2 Jabib

Kids Next Door vs. Insane Amounts of Money eSports

Knd Roster Changes: mommy_I_need_to_poopoo2014 -> Sniper, split -> Pyro
    $ Roster Changes: Randy -> Medic

This was a match I was very excited for last week, and following certain events on Monday I’m arguably more excited for it. I would’ve assumed this to be a knd victory while I was still playing on money to the tune of a 4-2. With Randy on medic now, though, I’m pretty intrigued to see if he’ll be able to unlock the potential fygg’s been showing these past few weeks that I wasn’t. Even if he does, though, knd seemed to be in great form last week against DpM, able to completely lock them out of their chaos-style on a map seemingly designed for it. Experience is definitely on knd’s side here, but from first-hand experience money is a team that plays to the level of their opponents and I’d find it difficult to believe they don’t take a few rounds or put up a decent fight here. Gert and spu have the potential to do a lot of work here, so I’d say they’re likely money’s X-factor here. If knd’s pick classes get shut down and fygg plays to her full potential with hyphen/marty keeping sandblast/etney in check, I can see the money boys getting richer, but it’ll be an uphill climb.

Prediction: 4-2 knd

Chill Penguins vs. Shooting Blanks! Black

Bv Roster Changes: n/a
    sb! Roster Changes: n/a

This preview is going to sound a lot like sb’s last; how many rounds sb takes here rests solely in Bowl’s (and maybe rain’s) hands. After some dirty scheduling early Bv’s been flourishing recently, making quick work of their matches and they look to do the same with sb!. Once again, experience and DM is on the side of Bv, but with product being such a demo-centric map, if Bowl can show the flashes of brilliance he had against knd and even DpM, rain and the rest of sb should be able ride that to take as many rounds as they can from the Bowl. A performance like last week’s however, would likely result in a quick 4-0 for Bv, so the pressure’s on. Rain, jim and waterr all have the potential to show up and take some of the load out of the Bowl but I’d bet against them outperforming their counterparts (maybe excluding rain). Personally, I’m hoping that last week was a fluke and sb shows up strong here for an intense match.

Prediction: 4-1/2 Bv

DpM vs. .5

DpM Roster Changes: Metawe -> Demo
    .5 Roster Changes: n/a (.5’s been having a fluctuating roster so it’s hard to tell)

3:11 PM - whats love got to Gnu with it: r u still writing the pred threds
    3:11 PM - whats love got to Gnu with it: cuz if you arent
    3:11 PM - ][_ {[]} ][_ ][ {{{ {[]} ||\\||: ye
    3:11 PM - whats love got to Gnu with it: I will take over....
    3:11 PM - whats love got to Gnu with it: fuck
    3:11 PM - whats love got to Gnu with it: i wanted to write 1 sentence about each game
    3:11 PM - whats love got to Gnu with it: and a 7 paragraph essay about each of mr gnu's players
    3:12 PM - whats love got to Gnu with it: the strengths and falls of gnu
    3:16 PM - ][_ {[]} ][_ ][ {{{ {[]} ||\\||: maybe next week
    3:16 PM - whats love got to Gnu with it: no
    3:16 PM - whats love got to Gnu with it: this week
    3:17 PM - ][_ {[]} ][_ ][ {{{ {[]} ||\\||: Considering you'll have ample research in your match against him
    3:16 PM - whats love got to Gnu with it: no
    3:17 PM - whats love got to Gnu with it: ok
    3:17 PM - whats love got to Gnu with it: we will have ur part
    3:17 PM - whats love got to Gnu with it: and than
    3:17 PM - ][_ {[]} ][_ ][ {{{ {[]} ||\\||: you guys play .5 this week
    3:17 PM - whats love got to Gnu with it: i will write about mr gnu

Get hype for a week 6 guest appearance.

Prediction: 4-0 DpM, 20-0 Ronnie’s Ego

Second Wind vs. ignorant By Nature!

2w Roster Changes: n/a
    iBN Roster Changes: fluctuating roster

If this matchup were happening week 3, with 2w looking a lot weaker and iBN coming off their 4-3 against aplbes, I’d think this would be a fairly close game with a lot of potential for upset. Both teams have progressed from that point, though, with 2w looking up and iBN the opposite. It’s a shame they already had their match against DpM week 1, since I think they’ve got a lot of potential to wrest that 5th spot from them with their new roster. For this week, though, I don’t think iBN will put up much of a challenge.

Prediction: 4-0 2w

TEAM OF THE WEEK

Scout: duckrider32 (jabib)
    Soldier: mirrorman (jabib)
    Pyro: Pyrrhus (2w)
    Demo: Campy (knd)
    Heavy: Trelan (money)
    Engi: Spamfest (Jabib)
    Medic: Randy (money)
    Sniper: mommy_I_need_to_poopoo_2014.knd
    Spy: waterr (sb)(referenced one of my memes)

A Postword From Your Good Doctor

As usual, I’ll be keeping Nut or Cut biweekly since while there is a lot to write about over this past week (with the center of a lot that drama being me myself), it wouldn’t fit well into the format so I’m compromising with this. I’ll break into a few points.

Regarding dK as a whole: I still stand by a lot of what I said regarding Karl’s behavior being fairly unacceptable considering the position he’s in. Whether or not some of the shade I threw was the cause or it was just coincidental, dK seems to be taking steps in the right direction getting a solid roster settled out and beginning to scrim. Adding another competent team to the scrim pool is something that’s only going to increase competition and the healthiness of gameplay, and should additionally help dK right their ship. Even with some of the big guns dK has waiting in the wings, increasing cohesiveness right now is a step in the right direction, so bravo to dK.

Regarding my termination from money: There’s already a thread regarding this so you can see what happened there, but there was a lot pressure between fygg and myself due to our differing views on how to play the game. Neither of us are faultless here (as you can here in mustard’s clips), and that pressure reached a head in pregame, partially due to the fact that we were really in sync on Sunday and the sudden 180 really took me by surprise since it felt like we finally found a rhythm we were both comfortable on. I told spu that I wasn’t going to stay on the team if I was just going to be consistently verbally abused; he told me to leave, so I did. More of my personal opinions are in that thread if you want to wade through the drama, but in here I’ll just say that I wish Randy and money the best of luck for the rest of the season and that hopefully there’s no more of that kind of drama.

Regarding beef in the Paals thread: While the server reset wiped a lot of the powerslamming going between vipa and myself, a lot of that degenerated into personal attacks that’s not really appropriate here. Some things I do wish to reiterate from that thread and some personal conversations that went on afterwards – talent in this league is definitely declining. There may be some outliers and certain classes may have kept up, but the average skill level of all classes has gone down in varying degrees. When the consistent #1 team in the league doesn’t scrim more than once a week, that hurts competition, intentional or not – mustard brought up how froyo only really scrims teams in the top 4, but I think that’s a great help to those teams. Needing to be in the top 4 for regular practice against the best as opposed to top 2 is a much lower bar for entry for newer players/teams, and I think dK’s decision to start scrimming again is a great one for that reason. Despite some of the $$ guys taking what I wrote at one point exactly as I expected them to, I’m not really damning them as much as odb seems to think, just pointing out the fact the circumstances surrounding them led to a normalization of the worse aspects of their behavior that otherwise wouldn’t have happened and the negative impacts those circumstances (beyond their control) had and the how it effects the league we’re looking at today. Pretty much all of us, myself included, all have things we need to work on in how we carry ourselves and rather than damning people that have behaved negatively, I think we as a community need to work towards improving, together.

Regarding a reset mustard post: This one’s a little more personal in the fact that one of the posts mustard made before the thread got locked/wiped had an attitude in it that I’ve long despised and it reawakened some of that anger: that every non-knd/dK/mts/invite etc saying anything negative regarding top teams, the league, or playerbase is instantly an excuse for them being salty shitties that are mad they aren’t getting into the top of the div for free. This attitude has been one of the biggest things preventing good discourse between high plat and everyone else for a while now, and while it’s been toned down the past few season I want to bring it up again (against my better judgment). There are very real obstacles in regards to breaking the mid-plat barrier for the past few seasons now that exist completely outside of leader/player control. In a world where everyone is acting in their own best interests, no team ever rises to challenge the top due to top teams yoinking all the players before enough up and comers and come together to challenge them. Jabib’s been the exception so far, maintaining a solid core and being especially bolstered by spamfest taking a chance on joining them over dK or knd. Money might be the next success story if they’re able to show up come playoffs, but I think in general it’s time to stop damning teams for being unable to find new talent as fast it can leave.

Regarding Power Rankings: I’ve stayed away from this out of both laziness, good judgment and a lack of changes to make it worth it. As of now, I’d rank teams as jabib > knd > money > dK > DpM > Bv > 2w > sb! > iBN > .5. Considering that I’ve only started writing these after the week 1 TroLL upset, I don’t think anything would’ve actually changed in these past few weeks other than maybe bumping up DpM over Bv. In the coming weeks a few matches could change this, but overall I don’t think it’s worth the effort. If any team beats one above them, expect them to swap. That’s about it. There aren’t enough teams or unknowns this season to make it engaging enough.

Regarding Interviews: Come playoffs.

Regarding Zagron’s taste in anime: Still shit.

I pitch a perfect game against the gnuston astros and don't get med of the week...deplorable...

You would get butt hurt over something completely meaningless

arzt he used ellipses he was joking man ...

No...I Think Vipa Is Completely Serious About Not Being Recognized For His Genius Medic Brain During His Heated Match With UGC Platinum Legends - Mr. Gnu

Hey i was joking too! Gotta keep the forums alive man

Quote Originally Posted by Arzt. Hispanian View Post
    You would get butt hurt over something completely meaningless
    Altos opinions confirmed meaningless

I was at my best tracking wise s16. That's when I was grinding csgo and hit global elite and playing lots of mge so I could actually aim back then. Even then playing vs scouts like enigma, shrugged, banny, ibby and his soda popper, and scizor in his prime, made it harder to fight scouts despite my aim being way better. One clear anecdote of how top invite scouts are better than the random people playing now.

yeah i demand that you take this match seriously
    https://clips.twitch.tv/BitterCarefu...dMrDestructoid

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Alto H. Clef View Post
    but I think in general it’s time to stop damning teams for being unable to find new talent as fast it can leave.
    as someone who was trying to lead a new team into plat this off season and had it die. I can personally say that this is a big part of why no one else has managed to unseat the dk or knd teams for the top 2 in the league for a while now.

it's hard when you're looking for players and the players lft on the forums are few and far between on certain classes (demo esp), but then you have teams in the top that just gobble up every solid combo player in the league. it got to the point where we had to rely on multiple below par ringers just to make it to scrim night so we called it a wrap.
    Pyro Mains :/

Yeah that's the problem. It's really hard for me to find players and almost everyone would jump on the chance to play for dK. S12 I had to pay scarab (friend from runescape who got me into tf2 but was also pretty good, mained for dK s11) a few keys a match to play since our demo quit/was cut the same week out scout quit. And we almost died bc of that since hl demos have been impossible to find for ages

Looks like I'm playing demo next season fml

Looks like I'm playing demo next season fml
    i will see you again arzt
    12:39 PM - salmon ella: do you think you can 1v9 any team in plat
    12:39 PM - the best player in mid steel (Ogramaster): definitely

Quote Originally Posted by Bowl_ View Post
    i will see you again arzt
    Save me from demo dude

Save me from demo dude
    you will be forced to play demo once more