Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Region Wars General Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeBobCalculator View Post
    y dont ppl just take the best segment from each pl map and stitch them together into a new pl map that isnt shit
    Barnblitz 1st
    Swiftwater 2nd
    Borneo 3rd
    Badwater 4th

yea also it should be bug themed i really like bugs & snakes

Badwater pro has the issue of most pro maps where they felt the need to make a ton of changes and a lot of them were unnecessary. Every change to 1st/2nd kinda made the two points worse, which is especially bad considering that those were some of the best balanced payload points in the game. Getting rid of the actually really interesting strategic decisions of how to hold 1st was dumb, and nerfing 2nd further encouraged just giving it up to concentrate on 3rd point.

The only changes badwater needed was a forward spawn for pushing 3rd so that it's not impossible to push without a lvl 3 tele, and the little catwalk towards boiler on the attacker's side of house so that pushing while your team is losing the sniper v sniper isn't awful.

The changes on badwater pro first were good changes. However, the changes made to 2nd made the change on 1st negligible which is terrible oversight by the map maker. Mind you, knd fed all the information to the map maker of badwater pro and I can assure you 100%, nobody on knd asked for the fence, that was something the map maker put in himself. A forward spawn after capping 2nd was asked and he thankfully put that in, that cut a good 5 seconds or so of just fucking running to third. Very necessary. Now, here's where shit got whack. On 3rd point, I know for a fact that all he was asked to do was make the stairs wider so that spies could run past a dispenser. This would make the dispenser spot "useless." As it was really only there to block spies. Not only did he do that but he added a ramp that just allowed anybody to walk up there, so the stairs really were just useless (this was either removed or we just no longer play that version) and he widened the window where the gun is placed. People complained about the sentry placement, but no changes were asked to be made to the window itself, everyone agreed that the gun wouldn't be as much of an issue if the dispenser spot on stairs was just taken care of. Nobody could really agree on how to make pushing into last easier without doing some sort of adding a stair/ramp path to spiral from tires so the only change made was the red team spawn staircase so you wouldn't be fucked at the bottom spawn.

I completely agree with Alto's assessment on both product and all other Koth maps. If Product was just simply 'bigger' it would be a much, much better, much like how I'd be completely willing to give ramjam another shot if the map was literally reduced in size by at least half.

Shoutout to Vox and Mime and everyone who casted/camera for the stream and shoutout to brooky for actually organizing this I enjoyed the event overall the whole 7 hours of playing kind of killed me. I thought the teams this time around were much more competitive compared to last time which made it much more enjoyable. The only map I can comment about is Highpass since we played barnblitz for 3 mins. From a spy POV there were all these stupid edges that I could jump on and in seconds be across the map I agree with brick that I can't see this map be played in HL but more of a casual mode like 4's or UGC 6's. Also shoutout to Jack for playing on his birthday

Quote Originally Posted by brick View Post
    I'd be completely willing to give ramjam another shot if the map was literally reduced in size by at least half.
    not gonna happen since ramjam's mapmaker is pushing the winter version with exploding presents over the actual map

no seriously jinglejam is rc2 ramjam is rc1

I've had Jusa added for the longest time now (creator of Ramjam for those who didn't click Alto's workshop link), but I haven't talked to him in literal years. But, when I did first add him, he was incredibly lenient on listening to criticism for his maps, which included Ramjam, koth_grizzly, and others. As a matter of fact, me and him talked about having his maps in rotation for the pugs that happened back in S15, and he loved the idea of sitting in mumble and spectating and listening to people's opinion on the map, and work on it accordingly. I even talked to the people who ran different pug groups, and they seemed on board with the idea as well.

Unfortunately, Viaduct and Lakeside were played religiously in pugs (still is), and that idea never came to be. I feel like if you add him and talk to him, he'll be more than happy to try to help. I really doubt he doesn't give a shit anymore and wants to do his own thing, but it doesn't hurt to try.

While I didn't play on the maps so I'll let smarter people discuss that, I'm definitely keeping an eye on the format discussions and all of that feedback will be taken into consideration for future events. I'm glad to see that most people seem to have came out of the event mostly positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Alto H. Clef View Post
    not gonna happen since ramjam's mapmaker is pushing the winter version with exploding presents over the actual map

no seriously jinglejam is rc2 ramjam is rc1
    Maybe koth_jinglejam is the version that we all needed

Quote Originally Posted by brick View Post
    As for what happened to the PNW and Socal teams I don't really know much, but I do know that almost everyone leading up to the tournament had no idea when it actually started. This information wasn't really presented publicly to my knowledge and if it was edited into the master post no one made a remark in the thread that the post had been edited. I was under the impression it would start at 12 est till the day before, which I was told it would be 3pm est, it actually started at 2pm est. I'm not sure how that happens, but it felt like a great deal of people were made unaware of the start time and that cannot happen.
    Sorry for being late on this

I essentially interim leader'd for SoCal with a lot of help from brooky and pellovley, who got me a server and the ringers we needed. Wax got called into work and Zoey, who was supposed to lead (I guess?) in his place, also was offline for the duration of the tournament. Pulling people into mumble made me quickly realize how much of a mess it actually was- DelDongo was actually at work 5 minutes before the game started and was never told when the tournament actually was, our scout was missing, we didn't ACTUALLY HAVE A ROSTERED DEMO, and our sniper was missing as well. We ended up forfeiting the 1st round because we didn't want to start super late and pulled together 9 people, including a New Yorker and a Canadian, to play loser's bracket. On top of that, the server we had to use didn't actually /have/ barnblitz on it, so we couldn't even play the damn map.

^tldr team mismanagement and a general lack of knowledge about tournament logistics pretty much made Socal fall on its face entirely

playing alot of tf2 was aids but that isnt anyones fault. i had alot of fun even trho i got owned

Quote Originally Posted by Wall View Post
    sss

Quote Originally Posted by Wall View Post
    On top of that, the server we had to use didn't actually /have/ barnblitz on it, so we couldn't even play the damn map.
    Thats a really really good thing, also who thought it was a good idea to play barnblitz like seriously how derange and out of touch you have to be to suggest it

top players have been saying the same thing for ages, brick summed it up well with ' If you take a shit and Polish it, it's still a shit at the end of the day' but admins dont play and dont know that it is bad then decide not to listen to experts and choose on their own.

I also like ramjam more than viaduct

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314